U.S. Treaties and Other International Agreements
Treaties and Other International Agreements are primary sources of U.S. law but can be difficult to find. This guide is geared to finding these materials using the resources available at the UCONN Law Library.
- It provides links to treaty research guides and indexes to help you on your way (see box below).
- It points you to where you can find official and unofficial electronic databases of these documents.
- It points you to where you can find official and unofficial printed texts of these documents (including PDF electronic versions).
- It points you to the texts for verifying whether your treaty is still in force.
- It points you to resources for treaty research.
Click on blue text in boxes to be linked to materials
U.S. Treaty Research Guides & Indexes
- Guide to Treaty Resarch by Simon Canick (updated to 2015 by Silke Sahl - Columbia Law School Library) Covers U.S and non-U.S. treaties and international agreements; includes materials not held by UCONN Law Library.
- Treaties and United States Treaties tabs in International Law Research LibGuide (NYU Law, updated 2015)
- Treaties and Other International Agreements by Marci Hoffman (2003, updated 2013 bu Caitlin Hunter) - UC Berkeley Law Library Research Guides) Covers treaties to which the U.S. is party as well as those to which it is not; includes resources not held by the UCONN Law Library.
- Treaty Research Guide (revised to 2007, links revised to 2012 - Georgetown University Law Library) Covers treaties to which U.S. is and is not party; includes resources which the UCONN Law Library does not hold.
- Researching U.S. Treaties and Agreements by Marci Hoffman (2001 - LLRX) Somewhat dated but still really useful.
- How to Find Information on United States Treaties in the Library of Congress by Mary Kramer (1994, revised by Paul Baker - Library of Congress - Researchers - Bibliographies and Guides) While geared to finding U.S. treaties and is dated, gives useful advice at the beginning for how to use LC subject headings in any catalog or index that uses them to find individual and collections of treaties to which the U.S. is not party.
- Guide to international legal research (1990-current - the George Washington journal of international law [and economics] - Print - Call no. KZ1234 .G85 - most recent copy in Reference). Look for relevant sections on treaties and internatinal agreements.
- Frequently-Cited Treaties and Other International Instuments by Kurt Meyer (U. of Minnesota, updated 2015)
- Treaties and U.S. Treaties tabs in NYU International Law LibGuide has helpful information about Blue Book citation of treaties.
- U. S. Treaty Index (current) in the HeinOnline U.S.Treaties and Agreements Library - Electronic - (NetID may be required) - Click title at top of page
See also Treaty Guides and Indexes at top of page for other titles.
- UST Cumulative Index 1950-1970: Cumulative Index to United States Treaties and other International Agreements, 1950-1970 (1973, comp. Kavass & Sprudzs - Print - Call no. KZ235.3 .U56)
- United States Treaty Index: 1776-1990 Consolidation (1991-current, comp. & ed. Kavass - Print - Call no.KZ235 .U58)
- Current Treaty Index (1999-current, comp & ed. Kavass - Hein - Call no.KZ235 .U58 suppl). - Electronic (NetID required) & Print
- United States Treaties and Other International Agreements Cumulative Index, 1776-1949 (comp. Kavass & Michael, 1975 - Print - Call no. KZ235.3 .U57) Cumulative index to Malloy, Miller & Bevans as well as Statutes at Large, etc. for period 1776-1949
- United States International Treaties Today, Unpublished and Unnumbered Treaties Index (Library has 1989, 1990 comp. & ed. Kavass & Sprudzs - Print - Call no, KZ235 .U59)
- Chronological Index to Multilateral Treaties in Force for the United States (as of January 1, 1972) (comp. Sprudzs - 1972 - Print - Call no. KZ235 .S79 1972)